What is the purpose of blepharoplasty or eyelid surgery? Is it possible to do this surgery at the same time as rhinoplasty? Get advice of by Dr Hamidreza HOSNANI about eyelids surgery at the same time as Rhinoplasty, plastic surgery, nose surgery, nose job.
Blepharoplasty at the same time as rhinoplasty
Eyelid surgery is done to enhance the appearance of upper or lower eyelid or both of them. After blepharoplasty the skin around the eyes will look younger and more beautiful.
Eyes are focal points of attention, and are considered as the main factors of beauty and attraction.
As we age, skin around the eyes may undergo some changes, for example sagging and movement the fat inside the eyelids may happen. These changes make your face look older. If you wish to look more beautiful and younger with small amount of changes in your eyelids and a simple surgery, blepharoplasty can really be a good choice. But wait. You are not supposed to expect a miracle!
First of all, let′s make it clear, what kind of expectations can be met by the eyelid surgery and what cannot. In blepharoplasty, excess skin and fat will be removed from around the eyes. So, puffiness and also the sagging on the upper and lower eyelids can be corrected by blepharoplasty. But it is impossible to remove darkness around the eyes and crow′s feet wrinkles.
How blepharoplasty surgical operation is performed?
Before surgery to prevent the feeling of pain, eye droppers inflectional local and general anesthetic medicines are used for you. Skin around the eyes are cleaned and the surrounding of your head will be covered by sterile covering. You can feel the light and movement during the surgery, however, you cannot see the surgery.
Sutures are made in direction of natural eyelid lines and also internal part of the lower lid. The surgeon removes the fat tissue through this incision. Excess skin, fat and muscle are removed. Using very fine sutures the incisions are repaired. This operation takes around one hour. After surgery bruising and inflation occur around the eyes, which is natural and will subside after one to two weeks.
What problems can be fixed by blepharoplasty?
• Removal the excess fat from the upper eyelid which causes puffiness above the eyes.
• Sagging and atrophy of the skin around the eyes that is normally accompanied by wrinkles which may affect on the natural appearance of the eyes to look un-normal. This condition sometimes affect the vision, and limits vision span. But fortunately is curable by blepharoplasty.
• Excess skin and fine wrinkles appeared under lower eyelids are removable by blepharoplasty.
• Bag like puffiness under eyes can be fix by eyelid surgery.
• Sagging of the lower eyelid can be improved by blepharoplasty.
Best candidate for blepharoplasty
Blepharoplasty is done for men and women above 35. Best candidate who have healthy facial skin and muscle and are realistic about the result of surgery. Candidate would be better to be healthy and non-smokers. If you are suffering decease as glaucoma, retina detachment, hyperthyroidism, cardiovascular disease, hypertension and diabetes.
Complications of eyelid surgery
The side effects of blepharoplasty of very rare, but any way like any other surgery, mild side effects do still exist. Double vision, vague vision, eyelid inflation, bruising around eyelids, asymmetries on the sutures are temporary side effects of blepharoplasty surgery. After removal of the sutures, white pimples may appear and will fade away gradually. However, the surgeon can fix that with a needle easily. In some patients eyes will be closed with difficulty after surgery. This complication may be cured by administration of artificial tears and moisturizing pomades. Infection and sensitivity to the anesthetic medicine may occur but, with the use of before and after of consideration advised by Dr. Hosnani, you will have a completely safe surgery and the sides effects will be avoided significantly.
Considerations before the surgery
Stop using Ibuprofen and Aspirin at least two weeks before surgery, because these medicines increase the risk of bleeding during and after surgery. Stop smoking a few weeks before blepharoplasty surgery. Use of alcohol immediately before surgery, increases the risk of bruising around the eyes. One week before eyelid surgery avoid sun exposure as much as possible to prevent appearance of brown spot on the skin of the eyelids.
Considerations after the surgery
• To prevent infection antibiotic pills and pomades will be administrated for you that has to be taken regularly after surgery for few days. Rub antibiotic pomade on the sutures.
• Start using cold compress from the day of surgery. Reduce the number and duration of icing in the following days.
• Avoid taking aspirin and alcohol for one week.
• Avoid intense physical activities for one week
• You may start your normal daily activities 10 days after surgery.